Principal Research Scientist, Applied Research & Thought
Job ID: PLW20123005-83422
Premier is a performance improvement alliance of more than 2,500 U.S. hospitals and 81,000-plus other healthcare sites using the power of collaboration to lead the transformation to high quality, cost-effective care. Owned by hospitals, health systems and other providers, Premier maintains the nation's most comprehensive repository of clinical, financial and outcomes information and operates a leading healthcare purchasing network. A world leader in helping deliver measurable improvements in care, Premier has worked with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the United Kingdom's National Health Service North West to improve hospital performance. Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Premier also has an office in Washington, D.C.
Premier brings nationwide knowledge to improve local healthcare. It does this by collecting and analyzing clinical and financial data from its member hospitals, organizing committees of members to make decisions and set direction for the alliance, sponsoring seminars and conferences, and sharing best practices. By doing so, Premier unites a fragmented, chaotic and inefficient healthcare system to enable hospitals to provide patients with reliably high-quality healthcare at the lowest cost. Premier uses facts to determine the best practices and products that drive the best patient outcomes. Everyone wins when there is no sacrifice in quality or cost. Become a Premier fan onFacebook.
Our People make us Premierso join us!
We are currently seeking candidates for the role of:Principal Research Scientist, Applied Research & Thought Leadership
This position is responsible for leading, conducting, and coordinating selected research and analytical projects for Premier’s Applied Research team. This position has significant responsibility for leading client-funded research projects in such areas as outcomes research, marketing analysis, comparative effectiveness, safety, and clinical informatics. These clients are often from the biopharmaceutical or medical device industries, government agencies, consulting organizations, and hospitals and health systems. Projects will support Premier Performance Partners revenue goals, other Premier business divisions, as well as Premier members and clients. This role also provides quality assurance review of data and reports generated by other analysts and may be responsible for management of personnel. This role serves as an internal expert in statistics and advanced research methodologies and the individual will be expected to support internal clients/projects as well. It requires the incumbent to work with minimal oversight.
This position functions internally in collaboration with Program Directors (Sales/Client Management), Information Technology Services, and other Premier stakeholders to ensure required deliverables are met. Collaboration with other Premier divisions is also anticipated as well as work with external academic researchers, agencies, and organizations.
Research Project Lead
* Define the scope of projects
* Consult with clients to determine research needs
* Construct and negotiate project timetable with clients
* Evaluate data and deliverable relative to internal or external client’s expectations to develop research project
* Manage projects from concept to final deliverable
* Forecast revenue associated with each project and meet/ exceed forecast expectations
* Maintain record of proposal submission and project report delivery dates
* Issue resolution
* Provide detailed review and analysis that includes: reviewing code, warehouse loads, incoming data from hospitals, etc.
* Run sophisticated statistical and ad-hoc analyses, where appropriate
* Significantly contribute to the development of standard methodologies and analytic techniques
* Facilitate activities of other staff engaged in analytical efforts
* Keep abreast of trends in healthcare quality (efficiency, effectiveness, equity, etc.) and cost evaluations
Proposal/Project Creation and Development of Project Specification
* Lead the creation and modification of project proposals and analytic specifications, including supporting documentation (data definitions, variable selections, measures, etc.)
* Develop analysis plans outlining the analytical scope of projects
* Work directly with PP Principal, Applied Research, Program Directors, Research Analysts, and/or other Premier staff or client (internal/external), where appropriate, to ensure scientifically valid and feasible proposals
* Accurately project level of effort required to execute projects to inform pricing
* Utilize knowledge of health care data, statistics, data base structures and contents to aid in design of analysis
* Develop reports, documentation, presentation of analyses in format appropriate for internal and external audiences as applicable
* Develop innovative methods to measure health care outcomes
* Conduct quality assurance review of custom programs, analysis method descriptions, and documentation
* Develop publishable manuscripts as required
* Work with project analyst to clarify and modify analysis
Education and Experience:
* A Master's degree (MA, MS, MBA) required; Advanced clinical degree strongly preferred
* Masters or graduate training in statistics, public health, economics, epidemiology, or related health services field required
* 10 years of experience required
* Require minimum of 10 years of experience in health services and/or clinical research. Experience leading large research projects
* Experience in customer facing, consultative approach required
* Expertise in working with large database preferred
* A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a leadership analytical role required
* PhD in health services research, economics, statistics or epidemiology desirable. Clinical degree such as MD, DO, RN, or PharmD beneficial but not required.
Job Type Permanent
Location Remote - Home Office